PENSACOLA, FL – Omar Villaman and Mitch Reeves hit back-to-back doubles in the top of the 11th inning to power Florida Southern to a 5-3 victory at West Florida in game one of a Saturday doubleheader here at Jim Spooner Field. Villaman had four hits for the Moccasins while Logan Browning added three and both scored twice for the now 2-0 Moccasins.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern grabbed a quick 1-0 lead as Villaman reached on an infield single with one out in the top of the first and later scored as Browning legged out another infield base hit.
- Florida Southern added an insurance run in the top of the sixth as Browning and Austin Mauer led off with back-to-back bunts, almost to the exact same spot down the third base line, to chase West Florida starter Jackson Smith. Reliever Jarrod Petree came on and picked up back-to-back strikeouts, but then issued back-to-back walks as well, pushing across Browning for a 2-0 Moccasin lead.
- West Florida cut the lead in half as Justin Ambrosino took Moccasin starter Jake Walsh over the center field fence for the Argonauts first score. The damage may have been worse if not for an earlier web gem by Burgess in center field. After a lead-off single by Brandon Harmon, Nic Strasser lined a shot in center which Burgess made a nice play to record the fly out and then doubled Harmon off first for the double play.
- The Argonauts sent the game into extra innings, plating an unearned run in the bottom of the ninth. Ladeavon Matthews doubled off reliever Mitch McCarthy to start the rally. Two hit batters and a strikeout left the bases loaded. Craig Savage came in to face Trevor Payne who lofted a fly ball to right field that was misplayed by Browning, allowing Matthews to score. Savage recovered to get a ground ball to second to force Nick Kerkmann at home and then got Harmon to fly out to center to end the inning.
- Browning made up for the miscue by leading off the 10th with a double to left and eventually coming around to score on a sacrifice fly by Ryan Frost to put the Mocs ahead 3-2.
- The lead was short-lived as Savage hit Nic Strasser to lead off the bottom of the 10th. Strasser stole seocnd and moved to third on a wild pitch before scoring on a sac fly to knot the game once again.
- In the 11th, Cody Burgess drew a lead-off walk and scored when Villaman's double to left was misplayed. Reeves followed with a double to plate Villaman to put the Mocs ahead for good 5-3.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern is now 20-19 in the series and has three straight and four of the last five meetings dating back to last season.
- Walsh worked 6.0 strong innings, allowed just one run on four hits with a pair of strikeouts. McCarthy pitched 2-1/3 innings and gave up an unearned run on two hits. He also struck out two. Savage picks up the win with 2-2/3 innings of one-hit ball, allowing one run with three punchouts.
- Moccasin relievers have now struck out eight batters in 8-2/3 innings over two games.
- Villaman is 6-for-9 in two games with four runs scored.
- Browning is 5-for-8 in the two games and has scored a pair of runs.
- Following the second game of Saturday's doubleheader, the Moccasins will open their home season on Friday, Feb. 4 at Henley Field against Delta State University at 6 p.m.