LAKELAND, FL (9/14/17) - We are pleased to share with you that as of this morning we now have power in almost all buildings across campus. What wonderful news! We are still waiting for power to come on in Colony Arms Apartments, Roberts Academy, and a few FSC houses surrounding the campus. We will continue to communicate updates as they become available and will accommodate any student who lives in one of these locations if power is still not restored when they return to campus.
- Classes will begin on Monday, September 18, with students arriving back on campus Sunday, September 17.
- We are still working diligently to restore all internet and email capabilities.
- For an update on the athletic events schedule, please visit www.fscmocs.com for more information.
- For information regarding the status of other campus events, please visit our website at www.flsouthern.edu.
- FSC WELCOME BACK TO CAMPUS EVENTS! As we look forward to students' returning to campus, we are hosting a number of welcome-back celebrations, including a Chick-fil-A Night, Food Truck Rally on Thursday, and more.
These past few days have been challenging, and we would not have made it through without the support of our staff, faculty, students, and food service teams who all came together to clean up our campus this week. This is truly a world-class campus community.
We also thank the many local contractors and business owners who helped support the College during the week. Special thanks go out to the following individuals and their employees: Jodie Rodda, Ed Holly, and Gordon Moore from Rodda Construction; Kevin Roggen and Roggen Enterprises (heavy equipment); George Conner of Florida Commercial Landscape (grounds and irrigation systems); Mike Labarbere from Action Irrigation and Sod); Todd Kootney of Q&Q, Inc. (electrical and air conditioning); David Touchton of ServPro; and the City of Lakeland.
LAKELAND, FL (9/13/17 at 12:45 p.m.) - We are working hard to prepare the campus for the return of our students and opening of classes, which is scheduled for Monday, September 18. Polk County was hit particularly hard by Hurricane Irma, and the campus is not yet fully operational. Lakeland Electric reports that it will be days, if not weeks, before full electrical power is restored and downed trees are removed. There is a mandatory midnight to 5:00 a.m. curfew for the entire county until further notice.
The extensive damage from the hurricane is unprecedented for our region, and our campus safety and maintenance team are working diligently to insure the safety of the campus.
We ask that students not return to campus until Sunday, except those who have confirmed travel arrangements already in place.
Here is an update on the status of the FSC campus:
- Significant water intrusion occurred in a number of academic buildings. Due to peak demand throughout the region with emergency clean-up companies such as ServePro, it may take up to ten days to return all buildings to fully operational status.
- The buildings with the most damage include Polk Science, the Spivey Humanities Building, and the Simmons Multi-Cultural Center.
- A major water main that services the campus has structural damage that will take up to a week to repair.
- Some units at Lake Morton Apartments and the Garden Apartments have electricity, but not all. There is no power at Lake Hollingsworth Apartments and the Colony Arms Apartments.
- 55 trees are down on campus, and removal is in process.
- Buildings with broken windows are being repaired.
- The campus Internet and website are not fully functional and are still being serviced by our off-campus emergency backup system. We do not yet know when full access will be available for the campus.
- The Athletic competition schedule will be available tomorrow.
We thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we work diligently to prepare the campus for the return of our students. We will continue to provide daily updates on our progress.
The LSAT will be given at Florida Southern College on Saturday, September 16.
Florida Southern College will post updates at www.flsouthern.edu/campus-resources/safety/emergency-preparedness.aspx
Athletic Events Cancelled/Postponed
• Women's Golf at Rollins Intercollegiate (Southern Pines, NC) - Sept. 11-12
• Men's Soccer at Flagler - Sept. 12 at 7 p.m.
Athletic Events Scheduled for This Weekend (subject to change)
• Volleyball vs. Eckerd - Sept. 15 at 7 p.m.
• Men's Tennis at Panther Invitational (Florida Tech) - Sept. 15-17
• Women's Tennis at Embry-Riddle Invitational - Sept. 15-17
• Volleyball at Saint Leo - Sept. 16 at 4 p.m.
• Women's Soccer at Lynn - Sept. 16 at 6 p.m.
• Men's Soccer vs. Lynn - Sept. 16 at 7 p.m.
• Classes will resume on Monday, September 18th.
• If you have questions and would like to speak with someone on campus, please reach out to Associate Dean, Shari Szabo (863-680-4900 or email@example.com).
Helpful Resources: If you have questions, updates will be available on our emergency hotline (863-680-4101) or visit our website www.flsouthern.edu for continued updates.